Learning from past actions is one of the most effective ways to make improvements to your personal and business productivity.
Today productivity strategist Mike Vardy is on the podcast to give you a simple game plan to review your year.
By listening, you’ll get some fun strategies to help you:
- celebrate your successes
- learn from your mistakes
- move forward with more purpose
In this episode we cover:
- How to use your calendar to kick-start your annual review.
- Why breaking your annual review into 4 separate ‘seasonal’ journaling sessions will give you the most accurate snapshot of the year.
- Examples of quantitative and qualitative data you can take from your past to help you become more effective in the future.
- “We don’t tend to look back enough when we are trying to move forward.”
- “The holiday season is like being on a plane ride for two weeks. You’ve got fewer expectations at work. You can use that extra time to reflect and plan.”
- “Productivity is about intention AND attention.”
- “Look back at the minutes to make better moments.”
- “There is no stupid part of a system if it works.”
- “The best app you can focus on is the app within.”
- “Frameworks foster freedom.”
- “Pain + Reflection = Progress” – Ray Dalio
- “Mistakes are opportunities for improvement.” – Sam Carpenter
- “In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” – Dwight Eisenhower
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- ABR #42 How To Choose Your Next Big Goal
- Mike Vardy’s Now Year Course
- Zack’s Productive Journaling Article
- Principles by Ray Dalio
- Work The System by Sam Carpenter
- Confirmation Bias – the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one’s preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.
- ABR #5 Capture Everything, Regret Nothing
- ABR #28 How To Never Forget Anything
- ABR #17 Guided Mind Sweep
- The F-ing Meeting to talk about food, finances and family.
- Getting Things Done by David Allen
- NeuYear Calendar
- The Now Year Calendar
- The Personal MBA
- Free Todo List Help
Connect with Zack and Mike:
- Mike’s Twitter: @mikevardy
- Mike’s Website: productivityist.com
- Zack’s Twitter: @zwsexton
- Zack’s LinkedIn: @ZacharySexton
- Leave iTunes Review: zacharysexton.com/review
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure.
The shownotes can be found at zacharysexton.com/46