Michael Katz is a likable marketing expert for solo professionals.
He came on the podcast to show you how you can get more and better clients by positioning yourself as a likable [fill-in-your-service] expert.
No marketing budget? No problem!
After listening to this episode, you’ll know how to attract all the clients you need with word-of-mouth marketing.
Like exercise, all it takes to see results is:
- finding a routine you don’t hate
- the commitment to show up every day
If you’ve been struggling to stand out from the crowd and find the clients you can’t wait to work with, this episode is a must listen.
In this episode we cover:
- Why being a subject matter expert is not enough.
- How to attract more of the right clients by adding personal stories to your marketing.
- What percentage of your time should be spent on marketing.
- 3 criteria for being a likable expert (and getting hired as a solo professional):
- People need to believe you are capable and see you as an expert.
- People need to like you, feel comfortable with you, value your point of view.
- People need to remember you, understand what you do and think of you first when a problem arises.
- “Raising your likability is an easy and practical way to gain more clients.”
- “The mindset of content is education. The mindset of networking is making friends.”
- “If you connect with enough people. And you are helpful to people. It does come back to you.”
- “You need to be as authentic as possible because you are trying to attract the people you click with and push away the people you don’t.”
- “Nobody comes to your blog or talk to hear your stories. But the stories are what stick with them.”
- “Your audience isn’t your peers. It’s the people who will hire you.”
- “Personal stories are a competitive advantage to small business owners. Verizon can’t tell you what they did over the weekend.”
- “Success comes from showing up every day.”
Links and resources mention:
- ConvertKit – Email marketing made easy. It has the power of Infusionsoft, but easier to use than MailChimp. See demo here.
- Michael’s Likable Bonus – michaelkatz.com/ableradio
- How To Generate More Revenue w/ Contactually Podcast #041
- Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers into Friends and Friends into Customers by Seth Godin
- Contactually – Strengthen your professional relationships and grow your business by following up with the right people at the right time. See demo here.
- Relationship Engine – A private Facebook community to help service-based entrepreneurs get more clients. – zacharysexton.com/relationship
Connect with Zack and Michael:
- Michael’s LinkedIn: /in/MichaelJKatz
- Michael’s Twitter: @MichaelJKatz
- Michael’s Website: bluepenguindevelopment.com
- Zack’s Twitter: @zwsexton
- Zack’s LinkedIn: /in/ZacharySexton
- Leave iTunes Review: zacharysexton.com/review
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure.
The shownotes can be found at zacharysexton.com/48