In previous careers, Nathan has been a designer, author, and blogger. After learning the power of email marketing he gave up a successful blogging career to build ConvertKit.
He’s come on the show to let us know how you can start using email for your service based business.
In this episode we cover:
- Why starting an email newsletter isn’t a priority when starting out.
- What email you should write first to get more clients for your business.
- When you should consider writing your first automated email series.
- Where to find your first newsletter subscribers.
- How to demonstrate your expertise through teaching everything you know.
- “Email marketing is just a method to push out something useful to people who want it.”
- “We have written, video and audio as ways of conveying a message.”
- “With email, the expectation is that you either read, archive delete or reply to every single message. So people engage with it.”
- “I wanted to make sure people had all the information they needed to decide whether or not to buy [my book], before they had the opportunity to buy.”
- “It really helps with the marketing to be able to narrow down what you do and who you do it for.”
- “If I had to start over as a freelancer, I’d get really specific on what I want to and an industry you do it for. I’d find that specificity by looking at what’s in demand and what I like doing.”
- “First write a case study. Second, I’d send an email on my philosophy or principles used. Anything that makes me different. Then maybe once a month I’d write about a project I was working on.”
Links and resources mention:
- The Craft + Commerce Conference
- Article on Nathan’s Commit App
- iBooks Author
- Case Study Example
- Webcomics mentioned:
- Anything You Want by Derek Sivers
- ConvertKit – Email marketing made easy. See demo here.
Learn How To Create A ConvertKit Form
Bonus: Interview Questions For Creating A Case Study
Connect with Zack and Nathan:
- Nathan’s Twitter: @nathanbarry
- Nathan’s Website: nathanbarry.com and convertkit.com
- Zack’s Twitter: @zwsexton
- Zack’s LinkedIn: @ZacharySexton
- Leave iTunes Review: zacharysexton.com/review
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Overcast, PocketCast or your favorite podcast player. It’s easy, you’ll get new episodes automatically, and it also helps the show gain exposure.
The shownotes can be found at zacharysexton.com/52